In previous news, we informed you that Datawind had offered Aakash Tablet in retail just 2500 INR (around 50$) to anyone in India. They did sell 30,000 pieces of Aakash tablet in less than a week.
Initially, Aakash Tablet was supposed to be sold to the students at around 35$. Government has asked 100 university across India to supply number of Aakash Tablet that would be needed by colleges in those university.The first news that has come in this regard is, Mumbai university has asked colleges affiliated with them to supply number of Aakash Tablet that are needed in respective colleges. Price of tablet as announced in Mumbai University is only 1138 INR (around 23$) only against 35$ as reported earlier.It would be same tablet that was sold out earlier this week in retail for 2500 INR (50$). Point to note here is students will get 50% subsidy that’s why price is only 23$ or 1138 INR only.
- How can I get this tablet in 1138 INR? – Distribution of Aakash tablet is done via respective colleges, so please contact your college. News has come from Mumbai university that university has asked about requirements from colleges.
- What option would be for Network connectivity ?– one should be able to connect via wi-fi.
- Will it will have SIM and GPRS? – The current version of Aakash Tablet sold in retail for 2500 INR (50$) or sold to students at subsidized price of 1138 INR (23$) doesn’t have SIM card option hence no GPRS connection.
- I am not a student how can I buy this? – Retail version of this is sold out, you will have to wait for new announcement. Also, you may pre-book Ubislate (enhanced version of Aakash Tablet with SIM and GPRS option). It is expected to be available at the end of January 2012.
- What is warranty of these Aakash Tablet? – The Aakash Tablet version available to students will have 1 year replacement warranty. . Its not clear yet what would be warranty conditions for Aakash Tablet sold in retail.
Do you still have a question? Please post it in comments or Google Group AakashGroup.